NCKU’s “Aim for the Top University Project”
Work Report Form for Distinguished Scholars
■續聘continuation of employment □離職resignation
Name of the Employee Le Edward Albert ■男 □女 Male Female
聘 期 Period of Employment
from 104 年(y) 08 月(m) 10 日(d) to 104 年(y) 12 月(m) 31 日(d) 研究或教學或科技研發與
管理計畫名稱 The project title of research,
teaching, technology development and management
可攜式 THz 影像系統
Project Investigator (Head of Department/Center)
Please summarize the entire research, teaching, or science and technology R&D and management work process (To be completed by the employee)
During last few months in NCK several projects and tasks were continued/carried out and accomplished Task 1: Develop novel material for Terahertz (THz)
• Continue from the first year, biobased material (CNC) is developed at UW as a thin film using tape casting for different weight percent of CNC, this year some test are continues and the electrsospining process is continued.
• The characterization of composites films were carried on both at UW and NCKU
• Our studies have shown that CNC thin film is optically transparent and birefringent in visible and NIR range. Several thin CNC composite films (~50 microns thick) were successfully fabricated using shear casting, randomly tape casting and electrospinning during the first year and this year was more emphasis on the electrospinning process.
• Vertically set up of electrospinning apparatus to spinning out CNC-based materials and nanoparticle materials with aiming to produce nanofiber to use for the optical sensor, THz and optical applications is completed and ongoing.
• Few more set of SEM images of new electrospinning CNC based composites was completed.
Ongoing and continues
• Images characterization by SEM and mechanical testing of CNC based/polymer materials is ongoing.
• Continues improve electrospinning processing and look at variables to product composite nanofiber and patterned composite nanofiber materials
• More chemical/materials are ordered and on the way to make new biobased composites materials
Task 2: Papers/Publications/Presentations Task status
• Continue these results from the previous year, journal paper on processing are in preparing
• One abstract on nanofiber of CNC based materials was submitted to conference
• At least, more than one talk on the CNC based research was given by Dr. Wei-Chih Wang to industry/university
Task 3: Proposals development Task status
• Continuing on the work from the previous year, one proposal on CNC nanofiber based composites were completed with guidance from Dr. Wei-Chih Wang that submitted to NSF in November 2015
• The same topic of the proposal is preparing from the review comments from the previous year to submit to Cooperation Taiwan (MOST)
Edward Le’s Report Wednesday, December 16, 15
Please evaluate the performance of research, teaching or science and technology R&D and management Work: (To be completed by Project Investigator or Head of Department/Center)
Has the expected goal of recruitment been achieved?
Yes, but some additional work still need to be completed.
What are the methods, professional knowledge, and progress of the research, teaching, or R&D and management work?
Some proposed CNC work has started but due to lack of funding, some materials and supplies were unable to be purchased so alternatives were sought and additional proposals were submitted during this time to raise the funding.
How have the research, teaching, or R&D and management results of the employed person given benefit to the project (or your unit)?
The work will benefit Ed in terms of progressing his CNC work that he has been working on since his PhD and also benefiting MDIC in terms of creating new type of disposable biocompatible and biodegrable sensors.
How has the employed person, during his or her term of employment, benefited your unit or the relevant domestic academic field?
His work has benefited our research group in terms of exploring the potential in using CNC composite in optical and biosensor application. This material is currently not being studied extensively in Taiwan and could help increase our school and research group’s visibility in the future in this area of research.
Please describe the specific work performance, or the results of research, teaching, or R&D and management work:
Nanofiber using CNC has been design and optical simulation has been performed. Some work in characterizing the optical properties of the CNC has been performed. Additional hardware design for the multilayered nanofiber has been done and additional NSF an MOST proposals have been written for the project.
(6)是否續聘受聘人? Will you continue hiring the employed person? ■續聘Yes □不續聘No
※ 此報告表篇幅以三～四頁為原則。This report form should be limited to 3-4 pages in principle.
This report form can be downloaded in http://scholar.lib.ncku.edu.tw/explain/