銘傳大學九十學年度轉學生招生考試 七月三十日 第三節
*請在答案本上橫向書寫，並且標示清楚題目大項、題號，否則一律扣分 10 分。
I. Finding Main Idea 20%
1. The insect called Halobates, or water strider, lives its entire life in the middle of the ocean, without ever touching land. It can “run” rapidly across the surface of the water. Using four of its six legs to balance itself on the water’s surface, it can grab and hold with the other two. It even lays its eggs on floating objects.
2. The people of China have an old saying that rings true. They say, “A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.” By this they mean that when starting something new or undertaking a project, it is often the first action that is the most difficult. Yet it is this first step that is necessary before the second and third and following steps can be taken.
3. Fairs have been held since ancient times. As long as three thousand years ago, the Chinese held fairs.
During the Middle Ages great fairs displayed fine products and were held all over Europe. People
everywhere in all eras have loved fairs – and still do. For centuries people have flocked to fairs to admire and to buy, just as they do today.
4. Newspapers in the Old West often had colorful names. Some of the more interesting were Kicker, Avalanche, Burro, and The Solid Muldoon. What were these papers like? It is hard to say. Most frontier journals rushed on and off the scene faster than a tumbleweed in a dust storm, leaving little trace of their passing, other than their unique names.
5. The American cavalry defeated and conquered every American Indian tribe except one. The Seminole Indians of Florida couldn’t and wouldn’t be beaten. Under the leadership of their chief,
Osceola, the Seminoles won one battle after another against the cavalry. Some forty thousand American soldiers were put into the field against about fifteen thousand American soldiers were put into the field against about fifteen thousand Seminole braves. Nothing could make the Seminoles surrender, and they remained unconquered.
1. The paragraph tells mainly – (A) what Halobates looks like (B) how many legs Halobates has (C) how Halobates lives on water
(D) what Halobates lays eggs on 2. The paragraph tells mainly –
(A) why the Chinese make sure to tell the truth (B) how to take one big step
(C) what an old Chinese expression means (D) why some things are difficult
3. The paragraph tells mainly – (A) why Chinese hold fairs
(B) why people like to buy things
(C) how fairs have been held through the ages (D) what products people buy at fairs
4. The paragraph tells mainly – (A) what the Old West was like (B) who published newspapers
(C) why newspapers go out of business
(D) what interesting names frontier newspapers had 5. The paragraph tells mainly –
(A) where the Seminole Indians lived
(B) which American Indian tribe remained unconquered (C) how many battles the Seminoles won against the cavalry (D) which Indian tribe elected Osceola as its chief
II. Cloze Test
下面有兩篇短文共有十五個空格( 1 至 15 )，每個空格各附 A. B. C. D.四個備選答案。請仔細 閱讀候選出一個最適合的答案，並標示在「答案本」上。30 %
I was waiting in the station for the train to come. A man __(1)__ across from me kept looking at his watch. I went up to him and asked, “Do you know how often __(2)__?” Looking at his watch, he said,
“The next train __(3)__ in 15 minutes.”
At that moment, __(4)__ occurred to me that he was the man who __(5)__ my watch the day before in the hotel. Then I asked him, “__(6)__ to the Regent Hotel recently? __(7)__ I have a look at your watch? I lost one like it yesterday.” The man answered cautiously, “I found it in the Regent Hotel yesterday. So I suppose it must be __(8)__. You should be careful not to lose it again. Here you are!”
1. (A) sits (B) sat (C) was sitting (D) sitting 2. (A) the train comes (B) does the train come
(C) will the train come (D) did the train come
3. (A) arrives (B) will arrive (C) would arrive (D) has arrived 4. (A) it (B) that (C) he (D) something
5. (A) was taken (B) has taken (C) had taken (D) has been taken 6. (A) Are you going (B) Have you gone
(C) Have you gone (D) Would you go
7. (A) Will (B) May (C) Should (D) Would 8. (A) you (B) your (C) yous (D) yours
Once there was a king who loves being a king but hates doing serious work for his country by __(9)__ three simple rules:
1. When something wrong is very serious, he will first try to sound __(10)__: “This is not a major mistake, let’s __(11)__ sure that it will not happen again.”
2. If the public is angry and demands a real answer, he will shout __(12)__ justice: “This is a very serious matter, I demand a full and thorough investigation of it.” Still, he will do only so much just __(13)__ till most people have forgotten about it.
3. When there is something good, he will make it __(14)__ like really something. He will make it __(15)__ the honor.
9. (A) applied (B) applies (C) applys (D) applying 10. (A) lightly (B) light (C) lighting (D) lights 11. (A) making (B) make (C) made (D) makes 12. (A) in (B) with (C) of (D) for 13. (A) to wait (B) waiting (C) waits (D) waiting 14. (A) sounds (B) sound (C) sounding (D) sounded 15. (A) of (B) on (C) for (D) with
III. Write an ad of your own 25%
Please read the following ad and write an ad on a famous Chinese food of your choice with good
description of its look and its taste with 60 words or more. (e.g. beef noodle, pearl-milk tea, stinky-bean curd)
The best catch in town.
McDonald’s deliciously light
Filet-O-Fish is America’s favorite fish sandwich. Probably because McDonald’s insists on nothing but U.S. Grade A portions of white filet from the North Atlantic. It’s dipped into golden batter, breaded, cooked hot and crispy
outside, moist and flaky inside, then gamished with our special recipe tartar sauce and golden cheese. Could be the best bite you’ll get all day.
Quality you can tastes. And trust.
IV. Reading Comprehension 25%
Read the following poem and choose the best answer (一題三分) to the 5 questions listed below and write your feedback on reading this poem (心得十分)
Windy Voice Humming,
the voice of the earth cries out, and all in its path are moved by it – some a little, some a lot.
Carrying the breath of life with a vengeful force that rams it down our throats
and blinds our eyes with tears until we cry out –
I hear! I feel!
the wind rages at us.
And then we close the door,
and listen anxiously to the voice of the wind trying to come in.
1. What is the voice of the earth(line 4), according to the poet?
(A) Humming, howling, and whining.
(B) The breath of life.
(D) The wind.
2. What does the poet say carries the breath of life(line 7) (A) Force.
(B) Our throats.
(C) The wind.
(D) Our cries.
3. Does the poet believe that people are affected by the experiences of life to equal degrees or to different degrees? Which line in the poem answers that question?
(A) Line 5.
(B) Line 6.
(C) Line 8.
(D) Line 9.
4. Line 13-15 mean that after a deeply felt experience (A) we hope we will have more just like it.
(B) we are more aware of what life has to offer and are a little afraid of it.
(C) we know we will probably have others, but the prospect is very threatening.
(D) we know we will probably have others, and the prospect is both appealing and threatening.
5. The poet suggests that
(A) life’s experiences sometimes strike our feeling very forcefully.
(B) most people are insensitive.
(C) most people are afraid of wind.
(D) the most poignant experiences in life are those that make us think a lot.
B. write your feedback on readign this poem (心得十分，請寫出你看過這首詩後，對它的涵義的想 法，或是你產生的聯想，請用英文，不可少於 50 字)