當形容詞用的過去分詞 pp. 有被動、已經、感到……的意思。
*我不會照顧正在哭的嬰兒。 I can’t take care of a crying baby. 主動正在哭的 我父親是一位退休的將軍。My father is a retired general. 已經退休的 這是一項令人振奮的消息。This is a piece of exciting news. 令人振奮的 激動的暴民縱火燒大樓。 The excited mob set fire to the building. 感到激動的 口語英文比較難。 Spoken English is more difficult 被說的
2. 因用來表達必要、急迫，語義中含有「應該」之意，因此在 that 子句需加 should，久而久
例 1: It is urgent that the problem (should) be addressed immediately.
例 2: It is critical that the government (should) deal with the problem in no time.
22. defy odds phr. 對抗困難 23. goofy adj. 傻的、逗趣的 24. elated adj. 興高采烈的
When Bopsy was 25 wheeled downstairs, he was met by the members of Fire Station 1 and their truck — renamed “B1” for “Bopsy 1.” The firefighters then took the ladder and raised it as high as it would go. One of them climbed to the top.
○ 1 What’s the structure of the sentence?
○ 2 Behind the window ____ a man at a small desk. (A) sit (B) sitting (C) sat
○ 3 In the recesses of the river _____ a beautiful river. (A) lies (B) lying (C) lied
2. ○ 1 雖然她表面上看起來很親切，但她實際上是個很機車的人。 [line 59]
在討論同一主題中的個別差異時，並沒有一一列出全部，而只列舉說明其中「三個」人/事/物 時，此時用 one, another, still another 來列舉(後面接單數名詞)。若是要列舉「三群」人/事/
物時，使用 some, others, still others 來列舉(後面接複數名詞)。
例 1: Many friends of mine are lovers of outdoor activities. One likes to go camping. Another enjoys mountain climbing. Still another is into biking. (列舉三個，沒講全部)