當形容詞用的過去分詞 pp. 有被動、已經、感到……的意思。
*我不會照顧正在哭的嬰兒。 I can’t take care of a crying baby. 主動正在哭的 我父親是一位退休的將軍。My father is a retired general. 已經退休的 這是一項令人振奮的消息。This is a piece of exciting news. 令人振奮的 激動的暴民縱火燒大樓。 The excited mob set fire to the building. 感到激動的 口語英文比較難。 Spoken English is more difficult 被說的
2. 因用來表達必要、急迫，語義中含有「應該」之意，因此在 that 子句需加 should，久而久
例 1: It is urgent that the problem (should) be addressed immediately.
例 2: It is critical that the government (should) deal with the problem in no time.
22. defy odds phr. 對抗困難 23. goofy adj. 傻的、逗趣的 24. elated adj. 興高采烈的
When Bopsy was 25 wheeled downstairs, he was met by the members of Fire Station 1 and their truck — renamed “B1” for “Bopsy 1.” The firefighters then took the ladder and raised it as high as it would go. One of them climbed to the top.
○ 1 What’s the structure of the sentence?
○ 2 Behind the window ____ a man at a small desk. (A) sit (B) sitting (C) sat
○ 3 In the recesses of the river _____ a beautiful river. (A) lies (B) lying (C) lied
2. ○ 1 雖然她表面上看起來很親切，但她實際上是個很機車的人。 [line 59]
○ 1 有些情形，動名詞可與不定詞互換，例如當主詞及當主詞補語時。
○ 2 但若主詞表示「目的」 ，通常使用不定詞。(例 11) 例 9: Seeing is believing. = To see is to believe.
例 10: These animal lovers’ main concern is preventing/to prevent animals from harm or danger.